There is a wide range of options to cover or dress windows. Having such a vast range, we need to make a choice and decide which coverage will be best suited for our particular home. Blinds and shutters can be a great way to deal with windows and dress them beautifully. But again, both come in varying types as well as benefits, that we’ll be discussing further.
Blinds and shutters are different from each other in the manner they are fitted to a window. Shutters get attached to the window frames, whereas blinds are attached to the above or inside of a window. Both help considerably in enhancing the value of the construction and make the surroundings so appealing to the eyes.
Now that we know a little about these beautiful means to decorate your homes and offices, let us get onto the types and benefits of both blinds and shutters.
Types of shutters
Shutters help control the amount of sunlight entering a room, provide privacy and security, and protect against unwanted intrusion or weather, or damage. They also enhance the overall aesthetics of a building. Following are some of the types of shutters available in the market:
- Full height shutters: Such shutters are suitable for most windows. It covers the whole window pane for great privacy, blocking out the light and insulation.
- Tier-on-tier shutters: Such shutters basically consist of two shutter panels. The panels are hung in such a way that one sits above the other. This way, one can open up the top of the window’s bottom part independently as well as together based upon the need.
- Shaped shutters: This is a great option for those wanting a custom made option to fit windows with an unusual shape. The windows may be round or triangular, or even semicircular. The shutters will be able to fit into them all.
- Café style shutters: If one wishes for shutters that will leave the top part of windows uncovered, café style shutters are for him. This kind of shutters is also good for privacy. They are specifically good when the window is overlooked by an adjacent road or pavement.
- Solid shutters: These shutters are made from solid panels of wood without slats or louvres. The option is good for blocking out light and insulation.
- Tracked shutters: Last but not least, this is a shutter fixed to a track at the bottom and top. These shutters are fixed in a manner so one can fold them away in a concertina way. Such shutters are perfect for bi-fold doors and larger windows.
Besides the above types, there can be several more, such as polymer shutters and aluminium shutters. It is said that aluminium shutters add more value to any home and rest your choice as per your need. Some other types of shutters are mentioned below:
- Waterproof shutters: They are perfect shutters for kitchens and bathrooms. Made from ABS plastic, they are completely waterproof in nature and can hence withstand humid and wet environmental conditions.
- Bay window shutters: This is, again, a custom made option. These are shutters for bay windows and can fit the individual window panes. They are smart, and they allow you to make the most of the bay window’s full depth.
- Conservatory shutters: Although there can be many more types of shutters, we would like to end it with conservatory shutters. These are for privacy, insulation, and shade for garden rooms. So the shutters are usable all year round. Furthermore, you can fit it to the side window and the ceiling pane too.
- Repaint Shutters: To give a new life to your shutters, you canrepaint them. For a hassle-free experience, you need to be aware of all the do’ sand don’ts of painting.
There are some more kinds of shutters such as louvred, board and batten, and panelled. Then there are plantation shutters, cut-out shutters, Scandinavian shutters, shakers, half-solid shutters or half-louvred shutters, and many more.
Now that we have gone through the types of shutters let us have a look at some types of blinds available in the market. Here you go.
Types of blinds
From so many options in blinds as well, we would like to talk about some of the best ones. Blinds can be of different materials such as wood, faux wood, metal, and plastic as well. Following is a list of different blinds types:
- Venetian blinds: These are incredibly popular blinds and largely used ones. They are basically a series of stacked slats, two-inch-wide and horizontal, connected by strips of fabric or cords. They are often made from wood but can come in many more materials.
- Mini blinds: They are similar to Venetian blinds in function and form. But, they consist of thinner slats, about one inch in thickness. They can be of aluminium, hence quite affordable too. They are further easy to clean.
- Vertical blinds: This is a series of vertical slats that hang from a track. They are often made of metals like aluminium. Vertical blinds can have their slats rotated or pulled together to a side for adjusting light entering the room.
- Panel track blinds: They consist of wide cloth slats. They are a hybrid of shades and blinds. They hang from a track, and the slats can also be moved independently of one another. They can be moved in either direction as well as split down the middle.
- Smart blinds: Covering the last of our blinds types, smart blinds are the ones taking technology to another level. They are automatically powered and under the control of an app. It can also be your voice controlling the blinds. You can sync it with Google Assistant, Amazon’s Alexa, or Apple’s Siri.
There are roller blinds, simple and stylish, allowing you to choose any fabric you take a shine to. It is recommended to choose a right roller blind for your home or commercial space. Then there are wooden blinds, Roman ones, daylight as well as blackout blinds. Skylight blinds are also available that work with certain window systems. Office blinds and electric blinds are some other names and options in blinds for windows.
Benefits of Shutters
Shutters come with immense benefits when we have them fixed to the windows of our homes. Following are some of the reasons to install plantation shutters:
- Increased security: Windows will now be a deterrent and will be a less likely way for thieves to enter.
- Increased privacy: None can peek through the shutters, and no noise can enter to disturb you during work.
- Reduced hot and cold transfers: Shutters are a kind of covering that slows down the transfer of heat from inside to outside as well as vice versa.
- Saving money on energy bills: With shutters, you will be less likely to use air conditioners and heating appliances. This will help you save money on electricity bills and will also be eco-friendly.
- Blocking out the light: A very important benefit, though common, of shutters, is their ability to block as well as adjust the amount of sunlight entering a room.
- Durability: Shutters are a durable and long-lasting way to window dressing. You save money and are kept from the hassles of arranging cover for windows time and again.
- Easy to use: Another important point is that shutters are very simple to use. In fact, they’ve never been easier.
- Custom made to fit different shapes: You can use the shutters for covering windows of any shape and size. There are shutters that come as custom made to fit even unusually shaped windows, as discussed above.
- An increased property value: With so many benefits for the future buyer of your property, you will have an increased value of the property with great shutters fixed on the windows.
Finally, we come to the varying advantages offered by blinds. Here we go.
Benefits of blinds
- Affordability: Blinds are highly affordable. One may note here than custom made faux wood blinds are way cheaper than custom made drapes.
- Versatility: You can get different styles in blinds for your home windows or those in your office. They come in different shades, colours, and tints. They may have variations in fabrics and textures too to match different decorating tastes.
- Privacy and light control: Like shutters, blinds also offer you privacy and let you adjust the amount of light you wish to experience when inside. Roller blinds offer great privacy.
- Blocking UV light: Concerning health, the blinds have the capability to block even the harmful ultraviolet rays of the sun from entering your room. It is also essential for the health of your furniture.
- Energy-efficient: Blinds come with an extra layer of insulation. This reduces the extra amount of unwanted heat during summers. It also helps retain heat during winters, just like shutters do. Carbon dioxide emissions are reduced while you save on energy costs.
- Optional child-safety features: You can find options with the cordless operation, breakaway cord stops, and retractable cords.
Apart from all the above, shutters and blinds carry many more advantages when compared with the traditional ways of dressing windows in homes and offices. Zip screens are also becoming very popular and important. They also add much beauty to space. They are versatile window solutions that are widely available for buying. They are convenient and practical solutions, making it possible for the users to enjoy their days at home/office fully.
Blinds and shutters are both modern ways to decorate homes and their windows and enhance the overall appearance and value of the building.