The gutter system is a vital safety feature for every home and it is your responsibility to collect rainwater and channel it down into the ground so that the water can pass far away from the foundation of your home. Over time, due to extreme bad weather or due to lack of adequate maintenance, a gutter system can fail. When there’s a need for replacing the present gutters, the homeowners can do it with little DIY experience but at the same time you should note that a wrong installation can render the entire system useless. If you’re someone who is planning to replace your gutter system in the near future, you have to follow certain tips. Check them out.
- Sizing of gutter: It is important to note that gutters are sized in the best manner for your home. If you want to calculate the gutter size, you have to know the slope of the roof and the square footage and also the rainfall intensity of your city. There are gutter sizing calculators available online and you can consult a company which offer gutter replacement service in Sydney.
- Know the position of downspout: You have to plan your downspout and the angles in which your gutters will be positioned. Always try to position the downspouts around corners as and when possible so that there’s not even a single downspout which covers more than 20 linear feet of gutter. In case there’s a run which is longer than 40 feet, you will probably require a downspout in the middle too.
- Figure out by drawing a chalk line: Your gutter always needs to be angled so that the waters run towards the downspout. Figuring out by only setting your eyeballs won’t do and you need to place an end of a chalked line where the high point of the gutter will be on the fascia boards. Pull out over the chalk line and ask your partner to hold both ends down. Then release the line and allow it to snap back into its place. This results in a straight line on the fascia boards which can be used to align the gutter.
- Check from the ground up: Before you attach the sections of the gutter to the fascia board, lay out the total run of the lawn. Cut the pieces to length, cut down the downspout holes and also install the connector.
- Hire a professional: Remember that your gutters are extremely vital for the overall condition of your home. You may think that installing gutters is simple as nailing them with the fascia boards. But it is not so and you require lot of knowledge and experience in order to do these. If you wish to save your dollars, you can hire a professional gutter replacement company.
Therefore, if your home’s gutters are not clean enough, follow the above mentioned tips to clean or replace them. Don’t delay as this decides the overall health of your home.